Friday, December 15, 2006

"I'm not the Maid!"

It can be mortifying when you realise what social and moral impacts having domestic help can have on your loved ones.

With due respect to the families who really need domestic help for one reason or another, here's a true-life horror story.

7-year-old Gremlin didn't learn how to poop on his own in a public toilet till recently. (I saw him in the female washroom and that was the reason given). His ability to shower is in doubt (all his caregivers say so). He's rude to the maids too, ordering them about and threatening to send them back if they 'misbehave'.

At the slumber party in Pixieville - a list of his 'firsts' in his life
- Wash his own dish after eating a biscuit
- Order his own food at the hawker centre
- Ask for the price and pay up

On the sunny 10-minute walk to the market - he went 'Help! Can we not walk? The sun is too hot! I'm melting! I need an umbrella!'

G: Canton Pixie, why is your house so dirty?
CP: I'm tired, no time to clean everything
G: Get a maid then
CP: Shudder

His caregivers asked him to help fold laundry. "Why should I? I'm not the maid what!"

The Gahmen has every reason to be worried about the nation's future. (National Service? Too hot! We need umbrellas!)

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker