Monday, April 16, 2007

I made yogurt and lassi!!!

Considering that I'm lactose-intolerant, it's amazing I actually spent a day trying to make my own yogurt.

Here's the recipe, courtesy of my new friend Marianne.

Yogurt

  1. Use PAUL's or Nestle plain yoghurt. (I used Nestle cuz it's much cheaper)
  2. To begin your own batch, leave 1/2 (half) teaspoon of yoghurt (after eating up the rest of the Nestle tub)
  3. Scald milk to just bubbling and steam appearing.
  4. Let cool to lukewarm - when you can stick your finger in and leave it there without feeling painful for 10 seconds, it's the right temperature. Alternatively, if you have a thermometer - when it reads 36-44 deg C.
  5. Stir milk into the half teaspoon yoghurt when it turns lukewarm.
  6. Put into microwave (do not turn it on!) and allow to set for 8-12 hours. Leave uncovered and door shut. I used my conventional oven instead.
  7. Put into fridge once done.

Lassi
Just put in about 3/4 glass of yoghurt into blender, put in 1/4 glass water, honey, banana or whatever catches your fancy. Blend. Yummy!!!

Tin Hang Zai seems to like it. If my yogurt continues to turn out so runny, I will use orange juice and turn it into Yakult / Vitagen!

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker