Thursday, August 28, 2008

My First Snowskin Mooncake



Life-post-allergy-discovery - I now have to learn how to make all my favourite foods in order to ensure I don't accidentally ingest anything that might make me sick.
This is one of the few recipes around that doesn't use milk / egg - and tastes just as good. (The commercial baked ones all use milk & eggs - and the snowskin ones - some do and some don't).
This recipe is adapted from Cheryl - the famous gal with those famous bakes. Her pictures look much better and she has even got some nice background as to the origins of mooncakes - so check out her post if you are keen.
Snowskin Mooncakes
Ingredients
115g Hong Kong Flour (steam for 15 minutes, leave to cool)
115g fried glutinous rice flour
210g icing sugar
1 tablespoon shortening
5 tablespoons cold water* I had to use 7 tablespoons plus a few more drops to make the dough wet enough.
1 teaspoon banana essence - I completely omitted this since I'm allergic to bananas anyway. I decided against using the store-bought pandan flavour cuz it smelt so..fake. I have since read somewhere that you could replace all the water in this recipe with pandan water.
2 tablespoons Hong Kong Flour (mix with 2 tablespoons hot water to form hot dough)
Fillings
1.5 kg lotus paste * I used up approx 1kg of it - since I only bought a 1kg pack from Phoon Huat.
100g melon seeds (baked) - as this was my first time, I decided to omit this - but have since realised that adding this would improve the texture significantly.
salted egg yolks (steamed) - can't be bothered with this - since I'm allergic!
Method
  • Sieve fried glutinous flour and Hong Kong flour, add in icing sugar.
  • Make a well in the centre, add shortening, water and hot dough, and knead until smooth.
  • Roll the dough and wrap lotus paste, press into moon cake mould.
  • Scale - if you are using the small size (which I used), scale at 29-30g for the filling, and 18-20g for the dough - just changed the ratio along the way in order to maximise the use of all the remaining ingredients - since Cheryl's original recipe doesn't give you any exact weight to go by.
  • Knock mooncake out from mould, chill and serve.

Notes
Cheryl scales hers at 1/3 total weight for dough and 2/3 total weight for filling, and Zu's recipe scales at something like 30g filling to 20g dough)

3 comments:

Par said...

I can't wait to make some.
Still waiting for the molds.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations on making mooncakes! I've been intending to try my hand at them since last year... but never got round to it. Haha, maybe next year for me :P.

The Health Conscious Shopper said...

hey thanks niceties!! can't wait to see your healthy creations - i know u'll find a healthier alternative to these sugar-laden stuff (did u notice that the skin is 50% sugar!?!?)

eXTReMe Tracker