Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Easy-Peasy Scones are Easy

Recipe:
225g self-raising flour (sorry, this was from a UK book)
50g butter
150ml milk (lactose-intolerant - I substituted with home-made brown rice milk)
1 pinch salt (can be more)
1 tblspoon baking powder
Any amount of dried fruit or cheese you like - I used raisins.

Preheat oven - 180 deg C
Sift dry ingredients (if you don't know which are dry - you'd better not bake at all)
Rub in butter (learnt in Sec 2 Home Econs)
Add in milk gradually, stirring with knife until mixture comes together.
Knead lightly, roll out to 2cm thick and divide into 9-10 portions
Bake for 12-14 min (I think I ended up baking them for half hour).

Little Pixie just loved them. Tin Hang Zai said they tasted good with cream cheese. They are my first baking success - my muffins are still cookie-like.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, when will I get to taste the scones? I love scones with strawberry jam and butter - yum! :)
-- Caro

The Health Conscious Shopper said...

ahem, they are not of fosters standard hor!!!

kuro.shiro.neko said...

ooohhh.... i LOVE raisin scones, especially with butter... gonna try your recipe this weekend!

The Health Conscious Shopper said...

THis is really easy, I promise you. And let me know how it tastes like with real milk - becuz I used rice milk!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your scones look more like rock buns to me.

The Health Conscious Shopper said...

hi airen,
you are right! i didn't know how they were supposed to look like at the point when i made them cuz i've never been a scone fan! (this came from a baby book).

eXTReMe Tracker