Thursday, May 31, 2007

Marvellous Soft Muffins - I DID IT!!!!

Honestly, after umpteenth failed attempts, I had about given up. But then, Cat Angel introduced me to this recipe from Nigella.
  • 75g unsalted butter
  • 250g self-raising flour
  • 25g ground almonds
  • half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 75g caster sugar (I just used brown sugar)
  • zest of 1 orange (omitted)
  • 100ml freshly squeezed orange juice (I used Ceres packet)
  • 100ml full-fat milk (I used my home-made brown rice milk)
  • 1 egg
  • 12-bun muffin tray lined with 12 paper cases
Preheat the oven to 200 deg C. Melt the butter and set aside. Combine the flour, ground almonds, bicarb, baking powder, sugar and orange zest in a large bowl. Measure the orange juice and milk into a jug and whisk in the egg and then the cooled, melted butter. Now pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing with a fork as you go. The batter will be lumpy but that's as it should be: you want everything to be no more than barely combined. If really too dry, add another tablespoon of milk or orange juice (I did). The whole point of muffin mixture is that it must never be overworked. Spoon out the mixture equally into the muffin cases and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove, in their paper cases, to a wire rack and let cool slightly (but not completely) before devouring.Makes 12.

This is the VERY FIRST TIME my muffins have turned out non-hard!!!
P/S Tin Hang Zai says it's not sweet enough for him - but it was for me - and this is supposed to be eaten with jam.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

they look beautiful!

nigella's recipes are pretty good! can try the other stuff if you're interested!

kuro.shiro.neko said...

congrats! they look so yummy... and oh, which reminds me, i havent started on my scones... hee...

soon soon i promise myself!

The Health Conscious Shopper said...

thanks gals!!

imp, your dessert angel passed me the recipes - i went to ask her for beer bread recipes after looking at ur delectable posts!!!

kuro,
blog mroe often lah, i keep reading and no updates!! and let me know how ur scones go!!

Dawn said...

They look great!

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kuro.shiro.neko said...

yah, soon soon... the scones, akan datang... すぐ出きる!

yah yah, blog more often... tomorrow, i have a great post to blog about... haha... it's a scream just thinking about it...

The Health Conscious Shopper said...

hey dawn,tks!!

kuro, still waiting!!

Crochet Fun Hub said...

I've been looking for soft muffins and then find your blog here, joylly good!

All the best!

Jackie

Crochet Fun Hub said...

I've been looking for soft muffins and then find your blog here, joylly good!

All the best!

Jackie

eXTReMe Tracker